Download Competitors' Tested Keywords - KeywordSpy
251652_Buy 1, Get 1 Free 4x6 prints. Unlimited quantity

Saturday, October 30, 2010

My Son's First Voting Experience-A Day We Would Never Forget

When I heard my son ask if he could go with us to vote for the first time I was the proudest mother in the world.  He had just turned 18 on October 28 and it was just in time to VOTE in November, 1994. I knew then that what I had hoped to teach him while growing up really . As a parent we do a lot of teaching just by being good role models at home and we may not even be aware of it at the time. Taking my son to vote for his first time when he was 18 was an exciting experience and a great accomplishment as an parent.

We lived in a rural area and his first voting experience was an experience to remember. Sitting in a bathroom of a local church was used as the polling place for that blustery, brisk but sunny November day. It was very crowded this voting day so to move the lines quicker they used the bathroom for privacy as all the booths were full. They handed hand my son a Bible to place the voting ballot on as there was of course no solid surfaces to write on in a bathroom that was about 4' by 6' wide. 

The look on my sons face was one of surprise and then with a smile and a few laughs from all the voters around him he shut the door and did his duty as an American. I am sure that the the same thoughts and feelings that go through all the minds of a person that votes for the first time were going through his mind at the same time. His father and I along with my son had finished at the same time. To this day we all laugh when we talk about that day he voted.

My son voted every election since then and we all try to go together to this day. Now he has his own family I can be assured that he is teaching his own children the very same things we taught him about the power of your vote. As the Grandparents of his children we also tell them the story of their fathers first VOTING experience and use this moment in telling them how proud they should be to live in a country were they have the privilege to VOTE. SEE YOU AT THE VOTING POLLS ON NOVEMBER 2, 2010. Do you remember the first time you voted? Share your story with us or someone you know as you never know when you may be the person to encourage someone to VOTE!  Kelly Says, VOTE BECAUSE YOU CAN!

No comments:

Post a Comment